New Licensees

Related Information

Obtain a Surplus Lines License

A surplus lines producer license is available to both resident and non-residents in Pennsylvania.

An applicant for a resident surplus lines license shall:

  • Be currently licensed in good standing as a resident Pennsylvania property and casualty insurance producer;
  • Pass the Pennsylvania surplus lines examination — there are no exemptions
  • Submit the appropriate application and pay the required license fee via Sircon using the kiosk at the exam center; and
  • If there is a partnership or corporation involved, Form IDL-22 must also be submitted via Sircon. Applicants can contact the Pennsylvania Insurance Department (PID) for information. The regulations are available online at, Title 31: Insurance.

A non-resident surplus lines license may be obtained by a non-resident producer for the purpose of placing business on behalf of a Pennsylvania resident with an eligible surplus lines insurer.  An applicant shall:

  • Be currently licensed in Pennsylvania as a nonresident property and casualty insurance producer, either pass Pennsylvania’s surplus lines examination or apply under reciprocity if licensed for surplus lines authority in their home state
  • Submit an application and pay the required fee via Sircon or The National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR).

Individual surplus lines licensees associated with and placing surplus lines business through a business entity must be affiliated with the business entity before they can be associated with a PSLA Customer ID and submit filings through the PSLA Electronic Filing System. If the individual did not include the business entity on the original license application, the principal of the business entity should fill out the Add or Remove Surplus Lines Affiliation form and submit it to the Insurance Department as required by 40 P.S. § 991.1615.

Below are information links frequently used to prepare for the surplus lines licensee test for Pennsylvania. Refer to the Services for Producers and Other Licensees Section and the link, How to Apply for a license area of the PID website for more information.

Refer to the Maintain Your License section on the PID website for requirements needed to maintain your license and to the Add/Remove Surplus Lines Affiliation Form on how to affiliate your individual license with an agency license.